All time favourites


Semnal M - La fereastra ta!

Tuesday, 10 March 2009

lesson 1 - how to lie to a woman

(Don Juan, Sganarelle-his servent, Dona Elvira- his wife)

' Dona Elvira: Tell me, since he wishes it, Sganarelle. Tell me why he went away so suddenly.
Don Juan: You won't speak?
Sganarelle(aside, to Don Juan): I haven't anything to say. You are trying to make a fool of me.
Don Juan: Will you answer?
Sganarelle: Madame...
Dona Elvira: Yes.
Sganarelle(turning towards his master): Sir...
Don Juan(threatening him): If...
Sganarelle: Madame, we went away because... because... of Alexander and other worlds to conquer. There, Sir, that's all I can say about it!
Dona Elvira: Then, Don Juan, will you please clear up this wonderful mystery.
Don Juan: To tell you the truth, Madame...
Dona Elvira: How poorly you defend youself! A courtier should be more accustomed to such situations. I pity your confusion. Where is your armour of majestic shamelessness? Why don't you swear that your heart is unchanged, that you adore me as much as ever, and that nothing but death can tear you from my side? You should say that you were called away by business so urgent that you had no time to give me even a minute's warning; that, much to your regret, you will be detained here for some time; but that, if I only go home quietly, I may rest assured that you will follow me as soon as ever your affairs will let you. That you only live in the thought of returning to me, and away from my side you suffer the torments of a body divorced from its soul. That is the defence you ought to make, and not be so tongue-tied as you are! ' ('Don Juan' - Moliere)
'

No comments:

Post a Comment